Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Making the Most of the Week...

...so far.

It's been hell around here. 57 teachers and another half dozen counselors and administrators are getting pink slips. Our district has to cut $2.7 million from an already lean budget, which means salary cuts and increased class sizes throughout our district. I'm not going to dwell on it other than to say that I was especially happy about the nice things that happened.

Had a 70th birthday dinner for my husband at one of the nicer local restaurants. Both sons and my daughter-in-law joined us and we had a lovely time. My boys are so funny. My husband has a weird habit. When he's finished with his meal, his mind moves on to the next thing on his internal agenda, then his body follows. After I'd paid the check, the kids and I were still sitting and talking when we realized DH had just gotten up and started walking out of the restaurant. We sat and giggled, wondering if he would ever realize we weren't behind him. He never did. He was all the way out of the restaurant and standing with his back to the door staring out across the parking lot before we decided we'd better join him (after all, it was his birthday). Still, we got some good giggles out of it.

As I was working on the computer yesterday morning (I was awake at 4 AM) the room gradually turned pink. I looked over my shoulder at this.



This is the view from my room looking to the Northwest, so I had to run to the front of the house to see the sunrise in the east (run being a relative term, of course.)





I tend to obsess over the sad reality that I am not living in my Utah retirement home. In fact, we may have to sell the property (there has been some interest in it). I need mornings like these to remind myself that SoCA does have some redeeming qualities.

I made some progress on the Easter piece.



I had finished the "peep peep" and found a truly glaring error in the first "E" of the second "PEEP" so there was frogging and re-stitching. but it went quickly. I was stitching while I watched Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I thought it was delightful.

I'm all caught up with my grading (progress reports had to be on the computer today) so had nothing to do while students took a quarterly writing assessment (80 minutes and THEN my prep) so I was poking around on the internet and found a new line of ancestors to pursue. The line of Sir Rowland de Thornborough. Sounds like fun, huh?



1 comment:

His Office, My Studio said...

I love the photos of your sunrise. They would make qreat whole cloth painting.

Your Easter piece is looking great.

Send a birthday wish to your husband from me.