Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sad News

My dad died at 5:45 this morning.

He was kept comfortably sleeping at Kaiser Permanente's Woodland Hills facility until day before yesterday when he was moved to a nursing home nearby. There they made multiple room changes in an attempt to find the right room arrangement. Again, he was kept comfortably sleeping through the resettlement.

He remained so strong until the end that most of the medical personnel seemed to believe that he would live for some time yet.

My mom , siblings and I are at peace with his passing. The body that lingered for the last few weeks did not house the father that we knew (his mind was too damaged by the brain tumor and bleeding for him to "be" our dad).

My sympathies are with my children and my nephew. He was a great grandpa, and we discouraged the grandchildren from spending time with him at the end so that their last memories of him would not be so awful. They are having a rough time.

8 comments:

Minniestitches said...

Dear Debi
I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Please know that thoughts and prayers will be with you Time will be a great healer but please know that he will be at peace on this Father's Day.
My condolences to you and your family.

His Office, My Studio said...

My condolences to you and your family. You have been in my prayers for weeks and now I will pray for peace for everyone in the days ahead.

qz said...

I think that at some level, he knew the tough times his family was having and passed quicker than was thought to be probable so as to gift a last, care-taking gift to his loved ones.

Stitcher S said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

It's so tough, that's for sure.

Sue

Von said...

I was thinking of you and your Dad tonight so thought I'd check in, only to find the sad news of his passing. Your heart is aching for his loss and the loss your family is feeling and I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you and your family that you will be uplifted by peace and comforted in the love you all shared.

EVERYTHING ANASTACIA said...

I was just browsing when I came upon your blogsite. My heart sank when I read about your Dad's passing. I'm sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God bless.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Nother blogger passing by, but had to stop & say:
Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this.