Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Friday, September 16, 2011

Fridays.

Always welcome.


Some weeks more than others.

Not that this was a bad week.  It was, actually, quite good.  But I'm tired and looking forward to the next three days.

Tomorrow is crop with my Mom and sister.  Mom is still recovering from her surgery.  I was telling a friend that she was having some issues with her recovery this time and my friends said she knew someone who had issues following knee replacement surgery, too. She proceeded to describe my mom's stuff, so apparently what Mom's going through is not unusual.

I should be working on scrapbooks tomorrow.  Hoping to have some energy to pack up the car.  Right now it's not looking so good.

Highlight of my teaching week had nothing to do, really, with history.  I bought RealPlayer Plus and have been having fun burning videos onto dvds, then sharing them with my students.  One of them was "Africa" by Perpetuum Jazzile.  I'll post it here.  Awesome Slovanian choir.  I was delighted by the kids' response.  I have one student who, I was warned, would be hard to reach ("look out for that one").  A cappella was a language he spoke.  It will help us bridge.  Can't wait to introduce him to Straight No Chaser and, later this year, the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles (not always a cappella but always awesome.)


Speaking of which, I just ordered the new season series.  Going to be fabulous.  The final show in June will be a country show with Leann Rimes.  I'll re-post her Christmas performance with them.  I wasn't there that day so am hopeful to catch her show in this series.


Sunday I've promised my son I will spend the day purging my holiday decorations.  He will sell what he can at a garage sale or on Craig's List.  My goal is to empty my storage unit (more purging).  The yearly rent on that is a trip to Japan; amazing how your priorities change when there's a grandson in the picture.

I'm very close to buying the ticket for my Thanksgiving visit to Tokyo.  Just waiting for a confirmation that the date and times of the ticket I'm looking at will actually work for my son.  He has advised that I let him meet me at Narita at this, my first visit, rather than try to navigate the Japanese train system to his home on my first trip to a foreign country.  I will listen to this wise man.  I think customs will be challenge enough.

This will be the first time in over 30 years that I will fit into my seat on the airplane.  I'm going to be positive.  I will be sitting in a row with others who fit into their seats (not between two 300-pound men).  They will not be too chatty, although a little conversation (music? Disneyland? crafts?) will be enjoyable.  Perhaps a writer?  That could make this quite the adventure.

No bigots.

Please.

No comments: