Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Vision

It's  a wonderful thing.

Gift from my brother and sister-in-law to celebrate my successful surgery.  My favorite color of flower, especially roses.


I've had more surgery on my eye.  Last year the retina detached.  I noticed a shadow near my nose, three days before the death of my husband, and then watched as what appeared to be pond water started seeping in, a little more every day.  Three days after the Celebration of Life, I was in having emergency surgery to re-attach the retina.

I've had the same ophthalmologist in Santa Barbara for nearly thirty-five years and trust him completely.  He arranged for a retinal surgeon that he trusted and the surgeon managed to get the retina to completely re-attach.  (I helped by going above-and-beyond on the face-down orders for nine days, and wasn't it fun trying to get the finances understood and under control in that position.)

I have a family history that includes these things, but I've also read that sometimes an injury can cause a weak spot that will take years to finally give up the fight.  I remember 37 years ago I took a racquetball to that eye, so hard that even with protective goggles I could feel the ball collapse into the eye.  So maybe that finally made itself known.

A side effect of the trauma of inter-ocular surgery is that a cataract could bloom.  I'd had one developing in that eye for fifteen years and bloom it did.  I was to the point where I really couldn't use that eye for anything, and got the all clear from the retinal surgeon for the ophthalmologist to do a lens replacement.

That was yesterday.  I had my follow-up appointment this morning and the ophthalmologist announced the status as "lovely."

Yes, it is.  My world is crystal clear colors.  I still have healing to do, but the two eyes are already working better together, which hasn't been the case for about a year.

Simply thrilled and grateful.

No comments: