Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Monday, August 03, 2009

Progress.

One inch at a time.

Sometimes one inch forward, three back but overall I feel like I'm getting there.

Today I finished this cabinet installation:


I had brought it home Saturday morning, but it needed a lot of finagling before I could call it done. I replaced the nickel door pulls with these acrylic pulls (looking for glass next - these were labeled "glass" but were not) and on the inside had to cut out part of the back to make space for the outlet and surge protector. Also had to mount an earthquake anchor on the back since this is not a top quality piece of furniture and was trying to tip every time I opened two doors at once.

I was really excited about this cupboard because I had planned all along to do this:


I now have a safe, central spot to close in all my chargers. It drove me nuts trying to get my electronics all charged, and I never quite found just the right power strip for all of them. These little charger docks were a real find at Staples. $2.99 each, each one has three outlets - spread out so transformers actually FIT - inside and ties to bundle the cords. Then there are those slider things on the top so that you can secure your item to be charged on top.

I'm really about finished with creating-assembling-installing the storage in this room. Now I need to move everything back in and clear the space for my son to finish removing wallpaper and painting the last section.

Also have a couple of stitcheries to frame for in here and will post a picture when I get that chore finished.

In puppy news, tomorrow we drop Dodger at the clinic for his final series of x-rays and - we hope - the all clear to let him have more freedom.

Last week I drove to Costa Mesa - about two hours from here - to buy a small desk at the IKEA store there. My timing was all messed up and I ended up having to face the 405 Freeway at 4:30 in the afternoon. 4:30 is the beginning of the rush hour in SoCA (usually from about then to 7:00 pm you can count on bumper-to-bumper traffic. Old Joke: "Why do they call it the 405? Because you only go 4 o' 5 miles per hour." Too true. I didn't want to sit for three hours on the freeway so set off to find a theater to kill some time. Instead I went to Macaroni Grill and treated myself to a yummy dinner, then went to a Barnes & Noble where I bought this book on audiobook:


REALLY a fun read! Well, a fun listen, anyway. I figured I could go ahead and get on the freeway and even if I got stuck (which I never did), I could at least be listening to a good story. And a good story it is! The history is very well done and there is a sweet romance, a light mystery (you know wh0 done it) and MAGIC. I love MAGIC books. My bedtime reading is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander, which came highly recommended but is, at least so far, a bit of a snoozer. Which is maybe a good thing, since it's my bedtime reading.


No comments: