Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Monday, January 16, 2012

Purge...

...in process.


I love these little scissors.

Even at this moment, the fat bows (did you know that's what the handles are called?) against the short, squatty blades make me smile.

We are still in the process of purging the accumulation of 38 years from our little 3-bedroom home.  I am vacating our storage unit (rent = Japan trip) by March 1.  We've unloaded a lot of stuff, some of which I might have liked to keep.  My heart did a little skip when DS2's girlfriend shared excitedly about how happy people were to get the Disney Christmas pieces.

Yes, I'm sure they were.

Sniff.

Anyway, the scissors are the kinds of things I'm having a hard time with.  I think they're adorable.  They make me smile.  But they are the WORST scissors in the world.

First of all, they are not black metal.  The color comes from blacking on the device.  I learned it was blacking when it smudged on my stitchery the first time I used them.  It took forever to get the blacking off (no warning on the package to do this before ruining a piece of fabric).  Still, I do love the design so I figured it would be worth it.

Then I learned - again the hard way - that they don't cut.  I mean, c'mon.  One strand of embroidery floss (cotton).  They won't cut through one strand of floss.

So, do I pitch them out (they are non-functional) or keep them as art?

Sigh.

P.S.  The embroidery design was a freebie by Natalie Lymer of Cinderberry Stitches.  I love the whimsical nature of many of the Australian designers.  This is going to be part of a memo pad cover.  Someday.

1 comment:

Von said...

Doing some purging around here too, Debi, and trying to get my DH to participate - not always easy for him to do. As for the scissors, I'd put a pretty fob on them put them on display. After all, they make you smile. :)