Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Music...

...is air.

And this week is apparently oxygen infusion week for me.

Such a happy time!

I spent Thursday night at Zoey's in Ventura.  It was my first time there, and I came away impressed with their commitment to live music.  Very nice little theater, great sound, terrific atmosphere.  Will definitely be keeping my eye on their calendar.

The draw Thursday was a full concert of Bearkat and Paul Starling in multiple (and delightful) combinations.  I would be a fan of these fine musicians in any case, but admit to a mother's pride that my son is drummer for both groups.  Garrett has played with more groups than I can remember (he started pounding on things with sticks when he was three and had his first drum set at six).  From alternative to funk to straight jazz to big band.  He even knows how to back up classical choral groups.  His groups have always produced high quality music in their genre and I've always been proud to be a bandmom (for both of my sons).  It is from that experience that I boast:  These groups are something special.

So, into the music.

One of my favorite pieces is "Summertime" with Bearkat.  One of Garrett's gifts is that he can crawl into a piece of music, then use his percussion kit to enhance the music without overpowering it.  I think he does this especially well in this number.

"Summertime," Bearkat, March 22, 2012 Zoey's Ventura CA

In the Paul Starling set it really hit me just how these groups have that magic communication that musicians don't always connect with.  Charm and camaraderie as the underlayment to excellent music - unbeatable combinations.

"All the Good-Looking Girls are Dead," Paul Starling March 22, 2012, Zoey's Ventura CA

Toward the end of the evening Bearkat and Paul Starling came together for an acoustic set and revived a favorite from my tweenhood, the Everly Brothers' "Cathy's Clown."

Cover "Cathy's Clown" (Everly Brothers), Bearkat and Paul Starling acoustic, March 22, 2012 Zoey's Ventura, CA

The Most Magical Moment award for the evening went to Bearkat for "Oh, Sailor."  It was one of those rare experiences in music when the entire audience was so enraptured by the song that - at the end - we all held our breath with the last note.  Such a rare experience, but so splendid when it comes.

"Oh, Sailor" Bearkat  March 22, 2012 Zoey's Ventura CA

Sometimes you just don't want an evening to end.

But, end it did and I was back to work the next day.

And looking forward to today's treat.   The rain will not keep me from this:


Tagline: "200 Men and One Big Organ."  They've advertised John Lennon's "Imagine" and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".  I am prepared to be blown away, and will now go start the process of getting ready.

The choir usually posts a video or two.  I'll send them your way when I find them.

No comments: