Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Monday, April 22, 2013

My Car.

Sigh.


She looks good, doesn't she?

The SUV was mine for several years.  I loved driving her.  She took me to Utah a couple of times a year.  I loved setting the cruise control and listening to an audiobook for 800 miles through some stunning country.

Countless trips to Disneyland, sometimes by myself and sometimes with loved ones.

She took me to the midwest (via the quilt shop circuit) with my Mom three different times, and one of those times I drove her solo to from Kansas to Indiana (or was it Illinois? long story) to spend a few days with a friend and see Henry V

And into Los Angeles for adventures in creativity.

And then she got sick.  And the mechanic's diagnosis was serious.  To the tune of $5,000.  As a start.  And I had to give her up.  He told me he wanted her for a shop car.  The Blue Book was $2500, and he was looking at having to put at least $3000 into her just to get her going.  My gut said to give her to him, and so we made a deal.  He took my car (a relief) and I didn't have to pay for the diagnostics.  Plus, if I decided to buy a used car, he would do two free inspections for me.

There are three adults living in this house, and two cars.  I'm the only one with a full-time job, and I can walk to work.  It has been a gift.  I have loved walking to work.  When I need a car, I use one of the other two.  It works.

I had not missed her.

Until I saw this picture on facebook.  Apparently he finished the work, and Bess the Shop Car is now hauling his little bug to car shows.

It gave me a pang.  Kind of like seeing an old boyfriend with his new love.  Not that I would want him back, but still...

Just a touch of melancholy mixed in with the nostalgia.

Sniff.

On a happier note...


Mrs. Perry D. Slocum is busting out with leaves.  I think I counted seven.  She really liked being fed.  And now I am hopeful for flowers.

The lotus is associated with rebirth and spiritual awakening.  Since that's pretty much where I've been living for the last three years or so, I guess it's appropriate.

No comments: