Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Disclaimer

Hilarious.



Re: my previous post.

Some of the pictures of my garden projects from this summer I also posted on my facebook timeline.  One of my friends - also a colleague - commented that my yard must be gorgeous.

Ummmm.

Not so much.


I've lived in this house since 1974.  That usually means a paid-off mortgage leaving money for repair and renovation.  But we chose to put our kids through college and build a portfolio of that "safest" of investments.

Real estate.

Yeah.

So what I have is a house with the original avocado green kitchen tile, ripped up family room carpet, stained popcorn ceilings and French doors I'm about to lose to termites.  We won't mention the kitchen sink that has no glaze or the (shudder) bathrooms.   I may be the only Californian in the state grateful for the drought restrictions because now I can point to my crappy front lawn, shake my head sadly, shrug my shoulders and blame the drought for the lack of grass for the neighbors to enjoy.

I have a piece of property up for sale - and it's lovely.

Magical mountain town in Utah.

Bordered by Snowbasin to the south and at the base of Powder Mountain at the north end of the little valley.
When it sells, it will ease my financial challenges and I can start throwing money at the pit.  In the meantime I love my location and my little house.  It has a great floor plan and I have happy plans for it when I have some cash to re-invest into it.

Meanwhile, I use my minimal funds and a lot of personal energy (at some risk to my already compromised back and knees) to carve out little vignettes of loveliness to enjoy out my windows.

I count my blessings and laugh over the rest.

I've come a long way.

No comments: