Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hemp Linen


Has anyone tried cross-stitching on
hemp linen?

OK, so where did that come from? I believe VERY strongly that the only way the US is going to recover economically is if we bring manufacturing (and - hello? - JOBS) back to the states. As demonstrated in the 1990's when the textile industry ran its "Look for the 'Made in the USA' Tag" commercials, this will only happen if we buy American. So I was intrigued when I sidebar hopped into Schoolhouse Quilt's site that some of their fabrics are milled in the United States.

I didn't know we still milled quilt fabric. Now I'm on a quest to have US links in my sidebar. If you know (or even suspect) of quilt fabrics that are milled in the United States, please let me know.

Which is what got me to the hemp linen question, although this hemp linen is milled in Romania, not the US. I'm just curious whether it's an embroidery-quality linen.

A couple of years ago I had a student (showing the typical American ignorance of hemp) argue that our colonists were growing (and therefore must have been using) recreational marijuana. I suspect that the Founding Fathers were as vice-ridden as Americans today, although I can't claim to know their recreational habits. I do know, however, that the industrial hemp that they grew for ship's rigging is quite different from the plant nicknamed "hemp" today. I did my homework so that I could come back the next day with some real information for my young genius. Even I was surprised to learn that while both plants have some levels of THC (the part that makes recreational marijuana - well - recreational), the levels in industrial hemp are very low and it also contains CBD which is believed to counteract the effect of the THC.

Shut him up.

No comments: