Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Perseid


I counted eight last night.

When I went to bed, the northeastern sky was blocked by clouds.  But when I woke at 2 am, as usual, the zillion stars were clear and bright.  I took a chair and a blanket to the back patio.  The air was cool and silent, and I could enjoy the music of the little stream that goes around the condo. 

The first was a head-on flash coming straight at me as a ball of light.  The next six were streaks - some bright, some muted.  As time passed they moved closer and closer to the horizon, more south than north (lucky for me, as the north-facing balcony is in the lightwash).  Finally, the largest speck exploded and flew directly across my line of vision. 

Spectacular.

I waited in the peaceful night, looping star wish lyrics as I soaked in the happiness of the experience.

"What's so amazing that it keeps us star gazing?  What do we think we might see?"

"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket.  Never let it fade away."

and,

"Somewhere, out there, beneath the pale moon light, someone's thinking of me, and loving me tonight."

And, of course,

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you
If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do
Fate is kind
She brings to those to love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing
Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true


The same night that is torture when you lie in your bed, numbering your regrets and fears, is a blanket of comfort when you tally the falling stars and bless each one with a wish.

No comments: