Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Procrastinating...

Once upon a time I was a dollmaker. Well, OK, I sort of still am. I still have lots of greenware and desire to make more dolls, but my kiln died and I haven't been able to find another doll shop that I would trust to fire what I have. There is a good shop (I'm told) in Utah so I've got my fingers crossed that it is still in business when I get there so that I can finish some of these things up.

This little baby (and she is really little, about 8 inches tops) was the last one I did before the shop I was going to closed. The artist is Dianna Effner (my vote for best doll artist ever). My mom crocheted the outfit for a little plastic doll and gave it to me years before I made this one. I was thrilled when I realized it fit! Shortly after I finished the doll I found a darling buggy to fit. Since then I've been picking up fabrics to make a miniature quilt for the doll in the buggy. I took this picture in hopes that it would help me decide what direction to take with this quilt. Two of the fabrics are kind of retro looking and may be a little too modern for this little girl. So, I guess I'm kind of leaning to the pinks at the top and bottom of the stack.

In other procrastination (yes, I have some things to do that I'm putting off)... I've been having so much fun reading other blogs. When I first heard about blogging I thought this was the prime example of the self-absorption that has captured my country, and maybe to some extent that's true (c'mon, take a picture of myself every day for a year? I do have something of a life.) But what I'm really enjoying is stumbling from one blog to another through the link lists. This morning I met Lene in the Arctic (brrr.....) and Paula in Scotland and my day is richer for the experience. Why, Paula was even standing in front of Shepherd's Bush, just fifteen minutes from where we are building our retirement home!

So now instead of seeing these as the supreme example of self-centeredness, I'm thinking they are examples of reaching out to others.

Or maybe I'm rationalizing.

Doesn't matter. I'm having fun getting to know everyone in bloggerland.

Speaking of self-absorption, another blogger posted a meme (which, I understand sounds like "dream"; I can't get past the me! me! aspect but there you go) that sounds like fun. Name five movies you happily watch repeatedly. Just five? Here are my top contenders (although I watch movies and read books over and over so the list is rather longer than just five) :

Practical Magic, You've Got Mail, Independence Day, National Treasure, While You Were Sleeping.

And now I must go finish clearing up the Christmas boxes and move a couple of things in the garage. Then I can come in and start a paper-pieced quilt I want to make for a friend. Which is what I'm really procrastinating. The last time I tried to paper piece something it was with a lemon of a Pfaff machine that never did work right. Now I have a nice Bernina "workhorse" and am nervous that it will act up like the other did. Then where will I be?

No comments: