Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

She shares well with others.

Birthdays, that is.

With millions of people in the world and only 365 days in a year, it is surprising that we are surprised to find we share our birthday with others.  I'm even more surprised that I share mine with some favorite people.


Meryl Streep is a June 22 birthday.  I've loved her in everything I've seen with her, but this number in Mamma Mia blew me away.  She is a couple of years older than I, and I sat in the theater at over 100 lbs overweight and watched her do this split while jumping on a bed.  I could hardly get up the stairs to my seat that day.  Her inspiration contributed to my decision to get control of my weight once and for all.

I'm happy to share this birthday with Cyndi Lauper (I hope below).  My boys watched a lot of MTV in the late 80s and early 90s.  There was a lot of crap music, but I let them watch in hope that this song (among a few others) would pop up.  Such a beautiful song with such a beautiful message.  (Must say, though, my favorite version is by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles.  Bought a concert series after I heard them.)

No comments: