Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Deborah's Theme

What if it were real?
 

What would it be like to have someone write a piece of beautiful music just for you?  I've had people write poetry for me, and as lovely as it is and as much as I appreciate it, it's really music that connects.

I heard a Morricone piece used as background in a youtube video and went searching for it to download.  Then started browsing other Morricone pieces and found this one.  Not often do I see my name - spelled as I spell mine - anywhere.  It's kind of an old name, not real popular anymore.  In fact, in twenty-one years of teaching (over 3500 students, half of them girls) I've never had a Deborah (or a Debbie or a Debi or a Deb).  Which is probably good.  It's a little girl name, one I was tired of by the time I was 14 (when I changed the spelling to Debi).

I fantasize changing it sometimes.  To something a grown-up would wear.  I like my middle name, my aunt's name.  But I guess once you've worn a name as long as I've worn this one...

So, I'm rambling.  I've done well lately, maintaining my good spirits.

Collecting feathers.

But life is changing, and sometimes lonesome lurks along the edges.  And all it takes is a lovely melody with my name on it to send me into wishfulness.

Where something better than lonesome stands not too far in the distance.  I can feel it.  A connection.  An excitement.  When the time is right.

Meanwhile, I count feathers.

No comments: