Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, October 09, 2016

600 Papers.

I have not left my house in two days.  Progress report grades are due Tuesday and I got behind on grading what with one interruption or another.  Four assignments.  Six hundred papers.

I decided that it would be a good opportunity to wash not only my usual weekly laundry and the sheets but also the bed's undergarments.  And then got involved with the grades, bill paying, cleaning the hummingbird feeders and refilling, overfilling the pond (oops) again.

And forgot the wet bedding.  Until bedtime.

So, I have some time and decided to update my last trip to Disneyland.  I went by myself because I had some things I wanted to see, do, ride and I don't like leaving my mom sitting alone too long.  It was a smooth trip and a beautiful day.


My main reason for the trip was to ride the Haunted Mansion.  I love the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay and try to see (and photograph) it at least once a year.  This time the line was moving so quickly that I didn't have time to take too many pictures of the outside.



When a disabled person wants to board the ride, they stop it completely and this year I lucked out.  The stopped it when I was at the ballroom scene which gave me plenty of time to check out the gingerbread house (and smell it, too, as they were were pumping fragrance) and my favorite, the Christmas tree.  They've added an animatronic Sally this year and she was fluttering her eyelashes and doing the lovestruck leg lift.  Adorable.

It took so little time to ride the tour the Mansion that I was way too early for the first Laughing Stock show, so took advantage of the opportunity to get some photos of the New Orleans Square train depot.  The trains haven't been running for months because of the Star Wars Land construction.  I've always loved these trains (well, trains in general) and my family ended every visit to Disneyland with a trip around the park.  It was nice to have the time to leisurely document my favorite engine.





I spent a little time chatting with the engineer.  I asked if he had a story to share with me and he did not, but then said something quite lovely.  He said that when the engine is sitting as it has been, it is just a hunk of cold metal.  But when it is fired up and working, he said, "...it is a warm, breathing animal."  We agreed we are excited about the changes in the route, and he shared some speculations (I assume based on his experience in the park) about the changes.  If he's correct, it's going to be an even more awesome ride around the park.


Laughing Stock was fun as usual, and ended my time at Disneyland.  My second reason for visiting on this day was was to ride the new Luigi cars at Cars Land in Disney California Adventure.



The story of the ride is that Luigi's family has come to California for a visit and to celebrate, the family does the folk dances of the old country.  There are a dozen different dances, and I was hoping to enjoy at least three or four, but when I got there the ride was closed with no word when it would re-open.  Based just on the castmember carrying a container of disinfectant wipes, I'd guess someone couldn't handle the spins and turns and... 

Well, I decided to go on home.  Managed to hit my favorite restaurant for a big salad and get home before sunset for a relaxing evening with the dog.

It was so gorgeous outside today that I treated myself between stacks of papers with little trips into my fall garden.  Soon it will be time to cut stuff back, but for now it's all still looking pretty good.

Brugmansia 'Creamsicle'  Biggest bloom I've had so far, perfect form.

Looks like 'Frosty Pink' is going to be a sprawler.


That passion vine I don't like is doing great, of course.  At least the fritillaries like it.

Begonia 'Freddie.'  I guess I luck out with global warming.  For years by now this would be in shreds because of Santa Ana winds, but we don't get them like we did up until about five years ago.  Oh, we'll have a few days here and there, but they used to go on for weeks and beat everything to a pulp.


I was shocked and delighted to see that my narrow leaf milkweed is coming back...


Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' (a treasure) and 'Insignis Pink.'  They are starting their slid into semi-dormancy and these are challenged because I forget to check this side yard for water during the heat.  Hanging in there, though.

This was a happy surprise.  I have three miniature roses from the Tiny Petals Nursery collection.  The original hybridizer and nurserywoman died a few years ago and a commercial grower got the rights.  They don't sell retail anymore so I take special care of these little gems.  This is a terrible picture, but these are perfect little buds about the size of my little fingertip.

Fall color on the hydrangea wall.  I'll start cutting these back next month for the winter.



As I said, I cleaned and refilled all the hummingbird feeders.  Found myself in a fight over one of them.  Had to laugh.  There are a total of six feeders, but they don't share well with others.

Better check the sheets.  Busy Red Ribbon Week next week, with some extra meetings.

Another trip to Disneyland Saturday with Mom.  We're both looking forward to our new tradition of chicken dinner at Knott's after Musical Chairs with the Mad Hatter.  Going to take her over to see the new Frozen stage show and will try again to dance with Luigi's cousins.

No comments: