Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Full to the Brim

Some days are just like that.
I'll take 'em.  As often as I can get 'em.

I think I know why I couldn't find any violas for my garden this year.
As promised, here is the report of my visit to Disneyland with my mom last Saturday. 

First, though, just a couple of personal updates. 

I did not have to serve federal jury service this week, but because it's federal it's a two-week window so I have to call in again on Monday to see about next week. 

I almost forgot to call in yesterday.  Weirdest "illness" ever.  I felt fine when I left for work.  I was walking, and halfway there started feeling queasy.  By noon I was wearing my emergency sweatshirt and was wrapped in a blanket, keeping my distance from the students.  I almost called for a ride home, but my 2BX is getting ready to leave for a week in Utah and I didn't want to risk giving him whatever I was coming down with so I walked home.  I made it home, slogged my way into the Sanctuary and fell onto the bed, where I promptly fell asleep.  At 4:00 pm.  I awoke briefly at 5:00, then at 7:20 (when I called in to the jury service).  The thought of dinner made me ill so I passed.  I did manage to take my temperature (yep, fever explained the chills earlier).  I took a shower and tucked in for the night saying, "Now, to sleep this off."   Woke up this morning feeling A-OK.  No more fever, and after thirteen hours sleep ready to face students again.  Which was cool, 'cause I'd spent hours preparing a new unit on the War of 1812 that I really wanted to try out.  And it went very well.

So, to recap...

I was supposed to take Mom to Disneyland on Sunday, January 27 but scrapped the trip because 1) It was supposed to rain, which we've done before but not when  2) Mom was really sick.

She had a horrible cough that had me worried about pneumonia.

Fortunately, she was much, much better by Saturday and we were able to take the trip.  It was a gorgeous day, and absolutely everything went right.  Traffic on the way there was very light.  Got a table at the Carnation Cafe right away for our usual delicious breakfast.  Had time for a little shopping (a new "Storytellers" pin for me) before the morning Disneyland Band Concert at the front gate.


We always get there a little early, and I used to get Mom a space where she could see the show straight on, front row.  But two different times, once with Hatter and once with Bert, she has been "stolen" into the show, which embarrasses her so badly that now she doesn't want to be in the front.  So, this is our view of the concert from the back.  (And this was on telefoto.)  Fortunately, we can still hear beautifully.

Bert and Mary and fan at the DL Band concert.


After the band concert, we headed up the street for the morning ragtime piano player (something the park is doing.  There's a morning shift,  a shift through the afternoon where two players keep the music going for a few hours, then an evening shift.)  I tucked Mom in at the Coke Corner, then headed to Space Mountain.  The wait wasn't too long and the ride is always a thrill;  I never get tired of it.  When I was done I stopped by the Coke Corner again and Mom and I went to Town Square for the noon Band Concert.  It's always the same show in Saturdays - Disney movie music - but I never get tired of that, either.


After the band concert we were back to Coke Corner to a happy surprise.  Our favorite piano player was playing on Saturday.  We settled in for the Musical Chairs set, which is always sweet to watch, and I left Mom there for a couple more sets while I went to ride the Matterhorn for the first time since its refurbishment.  It had been one of my brother's and my favorite rides as we were growing up, but the last time we rode it "for old times' sake" we sadly concluded that we had reached "too old" for the ride.  The bobsleds flung us and banged us around so much that we both had back twinges when we got off.  But what I'd read about the new bobsleds had me thinking that I might be able to handle the ride again, and I was right!  The line wasn't too long, and the ride was still a blast.  I got back to Mom in time to enjoy some piano, and then it was time to head back to the Jamboree for the Billys.

Where we experienced two more happy surprises.

This was the first time I'd ever seen interpreters for the hearing impaired working a show at Disneyland.  I wasn't surprised to see that they offer that service, but it was something new, nevertheless.

Denise and Gilberto, interpreters and comics.  Hilarious.

This was another example of things going perfectly.  We NEVER sit over to the side like this, nor so close to the front.  But something told me to pull up close that night and I was so glad we did!

And as if the Billys with their new extended cast wasn't fun enough, as we left the Jamboree in the twilight, we were just in time for this (although I didn't have my camera ready and almost missed it.)


Night night, cutie pies.

We picked up our dinner at the Pizza Port, then barely beat the parade to the Coke Corner to enjoy our salads with ragtime piano in the background.  Once we'd finished we made a restroom trip for Mom, getting back in time for my favorite time of day.  Twilight at the Coke Corner, as the lights come on.  My favorite piano player, my favorite music.  A special, lovely time.

We've learned, though, that if we're going to get a good "seat" for the parade, we have to get there early so we headed to Town Square to wait for SOUNDSATIONAL.


I have finally - FINALLY - figured out how to get my camera to NOT compensate for nighttime photography.  I WANT the dark so that the spectacular lighting on Main Street (this is City Hall) and on the floats shows up.

I love this parade, and managed to capture most of it.  I did tell Mom, though, that next time we move about fifty feet to our left so I can get the "Steppin' Time" routine of my favorites dancers, the Mary Poppins Chimney Sweeps.

Anyway, here's the parade...

(Have fun, Emma!)


And then it was time to go home.  As if the day hadn't been perfect enough...


Yep, the rare but ever-so-delightful limotram ride back to the parking structure.  This is my fourth time to be the only party on the tram for the trip back.

We felt so special.

No comments: