Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Spring Grass.

My favorite color of green.

 
Phil wasn't kidding when he said early spring, at least for us in SoCA.
 
I've always loved the first spring grass covering the hillsides.  I saw it everywhere on my way home from my Mom's today and it brought back nice memories of my years in Canoga Park.
 
The year that the neighbor's plum tree attracted the Mourning Cloak butterflies and there was one magical day when they covered the tree and filled the sky around it.  Because it was just on the other side of the picket fence separating our front yards I got to see the whole thing.
 
The year my dad spent weeks building a "tool shed" in the back yard.  And painted it pink.  And put my grandmother's discarded rose-covered carpet in  it.  The good faeries gave Aurora beauty and song.  To me they gave a double dose of gullible.  I'm still such a sucker, but as a child I was completely oblivious.  And so shocked when the neighbors surprised me with a housewarming party  where I got gifts of (white elephant) household goods for my new playhouse.
 
I remember the year of the tomato hornworms EVERYwhere, and another year where my mom grew snapdragons by the bucketfull.  They're still one of my favorite flowers.
 
But a most favorite memory was the year that she called us from the backyard to "Come out here!"  When we did we were astounded to find hundreds of tiny toads crawling all over the lawn.  To this day my brother loves all things amphibian. I would love to have just a couple of handfulls to "plant" in my yard today.
 
The last week has been kind of quiet.  I did not have to do jury duty and so was able to enjoy my walks to school and back.
 




There's something special about working where I can enjoy displays like this on my way to and from the copy room.


I was pretty sick Monday, but made it through the day and crashed that night with orders to myself to "Sleep it off!"  Which I did.

Now, tomorrow I'll call in to see if I serve in LA for the rest of the week or not.  Either way, it will be a busy week as I'm determined to get back onto my diet/exercise schedule.  Had a dark few months through the fall and learned that I have NOT re-trained myself to deal with my emotional challenges without eating.  But things are looking lighter now, and as of today's New Moon I'm back on track.

No comments: