Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Friday, December 30, 2011

One more day...

...of 2011


This is my view when I wake up in the mornings.  When I'm lucky and can sleep in a little, I can catch the sun turning these trees golden. A few minutes of magic.

I read for a while.  I'm reading Brene Brown's I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't) and Stuart Brown's Play.  Between these two lie the answers to our problems with education, if only we were willing to make the changes.  And some of my problems, too, and I am willing to make the changes.


I spent about an hour cleaning the Faerie Garden.  I think we're in for an early spring.  The lisianthus is jumping out of the ground, fuchsias in bloom already.  The brugs are looking kind of puny.  I'll need to decide whether to start their feeding program or not.  If this is a false spring, I would not like to have encouraged new growth only to have it frozen off when winter returns.

I treated myself to something I've been promising myself for weeks - a quick trip to the sea.




I live less than 1/2 hour from many beautiful beaches, but never go to them.  I usually get irritated by nasty parents and their nasty children.  The beaches I love - the quiet cliffs of the central California coast - are too far for a quick visit.  So, today I decided to give this one a try.  Fifteen minutes out to Mugu Rock, where I sat on a much smaller rock for a half hour, then made my way home.  It was a little foggy, but the visitors that I shared the parking lot with were pleasant.  A porpoise made a quick appearance offshore.  I'll try it again sometime, but maybe choose a spot with a little less asphalt.



I stopped at the gym for an hour.  I managed to put on 12 pounds during this holiday season.  I don't know that I would eat any differently next year, but will definitely keep up my workout schedule.  I'm confident I'll drop this pretty quickly, but I'm irritated with myself for putting myself behind after it took so long to get it off.  I'm really anxious to finish this weight loss project this year.  Like, by June 14.

I can do it.

If I keep moving.

No comments: