Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Moonchild

I'm a Cancer.



On the cusp with Gemini.  By nine hours and thirty-two minutes.

I'm just learning what that means.  Really interesting how "right on" all the information is for me.  Most of the time.

I have a friend who is REALLY into astrology and I started learning about it so that we would have something more to talk about (like we ever have a problem finding stuff to talk about).  He recommended a particular website, and I downloaded the "short" report.  Like I said, it was mostly right on, and most of it I didn't mind reading.  But I had to laugh when I read the "warnings" part of the report.  Apparently, Cancerians are prone to nurturing, and we must be "careful not to be too clingy."

Duh.

There have been some people in my life who objected to my nurturing tendencies, but my garden doesn't seem to mind.  As long as I don't water too much.

Went to a Robert Marzano training this morning and found myself with the gift of four whole hours that I wasn't expecting.  I packed for the weekend, ran a couple of errands, washed some dishes.  And took a walk through the garden.

I LOVE this time of year.  Everything falls to sleep in the late fall.  The hydrangeas are bare, the goldfinches hanging out in Puerto Vallarta sipping tiny birdy Margaritas.  I start checking in late February, but things are pretty quiet.  And then, on a gorgeous day like today when I can't stand being inside anymore, I head out and can practically hear everything singing optimistic little songs of welcome.


Some myseries to share tonight.  Well, not to me.  I bought two gorgeous begonias last summer.  One that put on a spectacular show of maroon leaves and bright orange-red, fuchsia-like blooms was called 'Bonfire.'  I did not know it from my past life as president of the local branch of the American Begonia Society (ahhh... didn't know that, did you?  The stories I could tell.)  Anyway, it "died" come the fall, and yet the "stem" that remained behind seemed healthy.  So I left it alone and kept it watered, wondering if it was actually related to the tuberous begonias.  Sure enough, I almost squeeeeee-d when I saw that it is putting out new growth.  A close look at its sister (that was not so big last year) showed that she is also putting out new growth.


Aren't they a lovely couple?  Apparently I planted a Gerbera daisy on top of the scilla bulbs last summer.  I thought the scilla was dead because I didn't see it last year.  I think he has a new leaf on life (yuk yuk) because of the his new girlfriend.  Romance is in bloom in the Spring.


My SIL gave me a plant for Christmas.  Well, she gave me a lovely picture and a promise that it would be shipped at the right time of year for my location.  When it arrived it was a pot -o-sticks, but look at her now.  'Strawberry Vanilla' is taking her place in the Hydrangea Wall this year.  I'm hoping for a bloom or two, but don't really expect a big show until another year or two has passed.

I'm patient.


Both of my geum 'Totally Tangerine' are in bloom, now.  This is one of my favorite plants ever.  It will carry these gorgeous apricot-colored flower from now until the fall.  The leaves will stay beautiful year 'round.  I got mine from Annie's Annuals and will never tire of them.

To top it all off, the orange trees are in bloom.  There is simply no better fragrance (although the brugmansias on a warm summer night come in a close second.)

Yes, I'm feeling better.  Still pretty overwhelmed and, frankly, confused by life about now.  But nothing like the garden to help things settle into place.

All I need now to top off my happy energy levels is a night of good music.  I'm on my way out to Squashed Grapes to hear my son and his latest gathering of talented young jazz musicians do a night shift.  Great way to end a not-so-fantastice work week.  Not complaining.

No comments: