Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Distraction

So, just because it's Whiney Wednesday doesn't mean I can't try to distract you from my venting post. I thought I'd catch up with some of the memes and other prompts I haven't done yet.

First, Kathryn's SBQ:


Are there other crafts that you have tried and abandoned? Why do you like stitching better?

I don't know that I've abandoned many in the sense that I'll never do them again. I don't think I'll do decoupage again, I guess, but most of the crafts I've tried over the years I would love to get back to. I have greenware for about a dozen dolls stashed, but there's nowhere around here to have them fired. I also have a box of ideas and materials for a line of skateboarding and snowboarding dolls made of polymer clay that I'm looking forward to making (and may include some hot air ballooners, too) but am saving them for retirement. I have lots of rubber stamps and may, someday, make my own cards but don't have time now. Another craft that I've done and would love to do again is ceramics (cast from molds, although I've also done some pottery and would do it again if the circumstances were right).

My list of stash that I share time on now includes scrapbooking, quilting, embroidery and cross-stitch. I enjoy them all equally and for the same reasons. I love the color and patterns of the materials. I do more embroidery and cross-stitch, though, because our house is rather -uh - full at the moment and it's very difficult for me to s-p-r-e-a-d out anywhere to quilt of scrapbook. Stitchery is an on-my-lap indulgence that I can do in the family room while DH watches TV. Works for me!

Next, from Nancy, although I've seen it on other blogs, too:


Post 7 weird or random facts about yourself on your blog.

Weird is in the eye of the beholder. Having said this, I think some would think it is weird that I:
  1. Loved cats my whole life, then got into showing and breeding Himalayans. I will never have another cat in my house.
  2. Had two wonderful years of clogging class. I had lost about 75 pounds when I started and I never had so much fun! But life got emotional again and I ate myself out of class (fasciitis in both feet and had to quit.)
  3. I have only been a patient in a hospital once (my uterus prolapsed and I had to have a hysterectomy.) My two sons were born at home.
  4. I've never smoked anything or drunk anything alcoholic. I can't stand bubbles so don't drink sodas, and I hate the taste of coffee (though I love the smell of it). I drink LOTS of water and a couple of glasses of milk every day. (No, I'm not LDS.)
  5. I married one of my college professors (13 years older than I) in 1972. We're still married.
  6. One of my favorite things is a completely bare flower bed. I love to think of the possibilities.
  7. My friends appreciate me for my clear-headedness and common sense. I would give anything to be quick-witted and clever.
And from Marita, the media meme:

Books, TV/Video, Music in the Last Week

Books: I heard the last part of The Golden Compass on audio while I stitched. Am looking for the second book now. Nighty-night reading was Susan Wiggs' latest from The Lakeshore Chronicles, Snowfall at Willow Lake. With nothing new on hand I am re-reading Julie Garwood's Heartbreaker when I wake up at 2:00 am.

TV/Video: I don't really watch much television although it seems to be on most of the time (DH is addicted). I watched reports on the primaries. I watched A Daily Show (until I fell asleep) a couple of nights. I channel-hopped into Practical Magic once and The Family Stone twice. I don't care where it is in either movie, I will sit and watch whatever's left and love them both. I watched Stardust (again).

Music: I teach eighth grade and noise is my life. I don't try to fill the silence when I finally get some. I do sometimes sing along with a cd in the car. I'm trying to learn the words to
"He Mele No Lilo" (Lilo's hula song from Stitch Has a Glitch). Today I was singing along with "Happy Working Song" and "So Close" from Enchanted. I predicted both would be nominated for Academy Awards and my money's on "So Close."

Thanks for the fun, everyone.

Hugs for Valentine's Day tomorrow!






No comments: