Welcome!

A place for family and friends to see what I'm up to. Visitors welcome here.

Hail Guest, we ask not what thou art.
If Friend, we greet thee, hand and heart.
If Stranger, such no longer be.
If Foe, our love will conquer thee.
-Old Welsh Door Verse

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm so excited!



My sweet, beautiful boy came by with dinner and a need to talk.

He graduated from UCSB in 2006 (after a lifetime of hating school) with a degree in cultural anthropology and a desire to have a no-brainer job. He had no job for several weeks, then started his job as a sub mail carrier, recently supplemented as a pizza delivery guy.

Tonight he told us he's going to take us up on our offer of a room (yippee!!!) while he - and I still can't believe I heard it with my own ears - goes for an M.A. in physical anthropology and an eventual Ph.D. in forensics (maybe primate forensics but he hasn't decided for sure.) He's already taken the first step of making an appointment with the counselor at the local community college to find out how much lower division he can get done at the CC (cheap tuition, live at home). He's also already emailed the chair of the department he's interested in at UCDavis.

Pretty good first steps. I'm so happy that he is, for the first time in his life, seeing himself as a student and seeing that as a good thing!

No comments: